Add this webinar to your calendar:
Sexual disorders are an often-overlooked class of psychopathology by mental health providers, often due to lack of sufficient clinical training, discomfort with the topic, and transference/countertransference issues in therapy. However, the ubiquitous nature of sexual difficulties, either secondary to another psychopathology, due to a co-morbid medical issue, or the result of the normal aging process, created a strong likelihood that sexual difficulties will go undiagnosed and untreated.
This presentation will go over common barriers clinicians feel to assessing sexual difficulties, address the relevance of assessing sexual function, even if not a part of the chief complaint, and discuss relevant components to conducting a comprehensive sexual health assessment. The presentation will then discuss treatment modalities that are used in sex therapy and several core skills used in sex therapy.
- Participants will be able to identify barriers to discussing sexuality with patients
- Participants will be able to describe the PLISSIT model for sex therapy
- Participants will be able to structure a sexual health assessment
- Participants will be able to describe the systemic approach to sex therapy
Assessing and Treating Sexual Dysfunction: A Systemic Approach
Shy Krug, Ph.D. CST
- Why Assess Sexual Health
- Why assessing sexual health matters for the general practitioner
- Relationship between sexual health and psychopathology
- Role of shame and stigma in sexual function
- Common Barriers for Clinicians
- Personal vulnerability and biases
- Ethical Concerns
- What is sexological worldview, and what role does it play for clinicians
- Religious and Cultural Issues with the Jewish community
- What is the systemic approach to sex therapy?
- How is this different that older models of sex therapy?
- What is entailed in the systemic approach?
- How to approach the topic of sex
- Harris and Hayes 4 stage model
- Role of how patients vs. clinicians use language
- PLISSIT Model
- What are the two sexual response cycle used?
- Conducting a sexual health assessment
- Presenting problem
- Medical History
- Psychiatric History
- Social and Relationship History
- Sexual Health History
- Understanding the body
- anatomical structures and physiological processes
- sexual response cycle
- Impact of psychological functioning on physiology
- medical conditions that affect sexual function
- Psychological interventions
- Developmental models
- Cognitive models
- behavioral models
- Third-wave psychotherapies
- Couples therapy
- Foundational interventions in sex therapy
- PLISSIT Model
- Sensate focus therapy
- pleasure vs. outcome
- Communication skills training
- intimacy enhancing skills
- Psychological interventions by type of dysfunction
- disorders of the arousal/desire stage
- disorders of the plateau stage
- disorders of the orgasm and ejaculation stage
- overview of sex therapy interventions
(3 0 minutes)
- Sensate focus therapy
- what sensate is and what it's not
- How to introduce sensate focus therapy
- How to assist patients in structuring sensate practice
- What spectatoring is
Certificates Provider -This Webinar Offers 3 Continuing Education Credits
This webinar is recorded and will not grant live credits.
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0048.
This presentation is open to:
- Behavior Analysts
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an introductory level ,and is beneficial for an intermediate level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing [email protected] or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
- Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
- Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
- The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
- Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
- Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.