Add this webinar to your calendar:
As Mindfulness continues to be an increasingly popular form of mental health treatment, it is pertinent to consider ways to engage these interventions from a trauma-informed perspective. Research identifies that use of mindfulness can reduce trauma-related symptoms, depending on the amount of mindfulness minutes practiced per week (Kelly & Garland, 2016). While research largely focuses on the benefits of these interventions in treatment, it is particularly critical to equally observe the risks of practices with clients who experience trauma-related disorders and symptoms. In some instances, it may even be retraumatizing to explore this level of connectedness to the body without first establishing the presence of safety (Treleaven, & Britton, 2018). To address this issue, this training will focus on understanding mindfulness and trauma as they relate to benevolent and effective treatment; highlight the benefits and risks of utilizing mindfulness practices to increase sensory awareness in clients who experience trauma; explore and demonstrate use of trauma-informed interventions with other treatment modalities; and, identify ways to skillfully utilize mindfulness interventions to promote effective skill use.
- Participants will be able to define mindfulness, trauma, and trauma-informed mindfulness.
- Participants will be able to recall the benefits and risk to utilizing mindfulness practices with clients who experience trauma related disorders and symptoms.
- Participants will be able to describe how to skillfully utilize mindfulness interventions with clients who experience trauma related disorders and symptoms. Participants will be able to explain ways to utilize mindfulness to prompt effective skill use.
- Participants will be able to recall useful trauma-informed mindfulness techniques to integrate into therapeutic practices in combination with other modalities.
- Introductions and Mindfulness Ice Breaker Activity (15 minutes)
- Defining Mindfulness and Trauma (30 minutes)
- What is Mindfulness?
- What is trauma?
- Current vulnerabilities to successful mindfulness treatment when client experience trauma
- Benefits and Risk of utilizing mindfulness practices with clients who experience trauma related disorders and symptoms.
- How to skillfully utilize mindfulness interventions with client who experience trauma-related disorders and symptoms (35 minutes)
- Trauma-informed Mindfulness.
- How to skillfully practice mindfulness with clients in session
- How to encourage independent skillful use of daily mindfulness practices to separate the past from present experiences.
- How to identify sensations utilizing mindfulness reconnecting to the body and environment.
- How to skillfully utilize mindfulness when engaging in effective skill use. (30 minutes)
- How to encourage clients to mindfully choose coping skills when in distress/How to identify what is needed in the moment.
- Developing trauma-informed coping skills related to observed sensations.
- Exploring useful Trauma-Informed Mindfulness techniques (30 minutes)
- Group activity: Case Scenario Role Play use of 1 technique (30 minutes)
- Review and Summarize (10 minutes)
Certificates Provider -This Webinar Offers 3 Continuing Education Credits
This webinar is recorded and will not grant live credits.
- NEFESH International, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0116.
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program.
- CE You LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0437
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082
This presentation is open to:
- Behavior Analysts
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an intermediate level ,and is beneficial for an intermediate level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing [email protected] or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
- Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
- Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
- The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
- Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
- Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.