Add this webinar to your calendar:
Previously recorded. Watch at your own pace.
Therapists are taught of our ethical responsibility to "Do No Harm". Couples therapy is an area in which the potential for harm to the client is great as "unsuccessful therapy" can make a relationship worse and even lead to divorce. Besides basic competency in couple's work, there are other practices of good therapy that when applied will ensure that the therapist provides a safe and neutral environment for the couple to work through their issues.
This interactive training will help you explore the best ethical practices for couple's therapy as well as explore why working with couples requires a different set of core competencies than individual therapy. Through lecture and interactive discussions, participants will consider the the various ethical dilemmas that arise in couple's therapy. They will also learn how to better provide neutrality and unconditional positive regard for the couple.
Participants will learn best ethical practices for couple's therapy that will make their work with couples more effective. You will examine real case scenarios and will gain skills that will be useful in all areas of your clinical practice.
Like this webinar? Click here to view packages that contain this webinar.
- Participants will be able to identify ethical dilemmas that arise in couple’s therapy.
- Participants will be able to identify the role of countertransference and how their own triggers may be affecting their efficacy in the therapy room.
- Participants will be able to demonstrate an ability to provide neutrality and unconditional positive regard for couples in therapy.
- Introduction- My Story – The Need for this Class (15 minutes)
- Ethics Principles and Standards
- The Paradigm Shift
- Benefits vs Nonmaleficence
- Boundaries of Competence (15 minutes)
- Couples Therapy vs Individual Therapy
- Our Job
- Why is this job so different?
- Harm Prevention
- The couple is the Relationship (60 minutes)
- Avoiding Pitfalls
- Dangers of Diagnosis (30 minutes)
- Do we work with the couple individually?
- What are the pro’s and cons?
- Therapist holding secrets
- Maintaining neutrality
- Best treatment? (30 minutes)
- Encouraging divorce?
- What’s the treatment goal?
- Quality of Life (15 minutes)
- Q and A and Closing Words (15 minutes)
Certificates Provider -This Webinar Offers 3 Continuing Education Credits
This webinar is recorded and will not grant live credits.
- This program is co-sponsored by NEFESH International and Therapy Express. NEFESH International is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. NEFESH International maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- NEFESH International, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0116.
- CE You LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0437
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program.
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082
This presentation is open to:
- Behavior Analysts
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an introductory level ,and is beneficial for a beginner level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing [email protected] or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
- Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
- Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
- The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
- Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
- Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.