Wednesday, January 10th, 2024 2:45 PM EDT -5:45 PM EDT Erik Hadden, MA, LCPC
Add this webinar to your calendar:
This session is dedicated to addressing the intricate challenges inherent in identifying and treating addiction, especially when individuals exhibit denial of their struggles. The presentation delves into the pervasive psychological experiences of individuals grappling with addiction, aiming to demystify the complexities surrounding addiction in mental health.
The session's key components encompass strategies for recognizing addiction signs, particularly when met with resistance or denial. It also provides approaches to gently and effectively engage individuals who may be hesitant to acknowledge their addictive behaviors. The session clarifies the definition of addiction, encompassing both substance and behavioral addictions, while identifying general principles that guide successful treatment strategies for a comprehensive understanding of addiction.
This training will empower clinicians, particularly those without specialization in addictions, to feel more assured in their ability to address and treat addiction. Practical tools and insights are provided to enhance assessment, understanding, and treatment skills in diverse clinical settings.
Like this webinar? Click here to view packages that contain this webinar.
- Participants will develop a multifaceted understanding of addiction, including its biological, psychological, and social dimensions, as well as differentiating between addiction and compulsion based on the latest research and DSM-V criteria.
- Learners will be able to identify and articulate shared psychological experiences, such as shame and overactive superego, in people with addiction, drawing on case studies and current literature.
- Participants will develop a comprehensive treatment plan for problematic pornography use, incorporating behavioral, cognitive, trauma, and marital therapy approaches as supported by current research.
- Participants will gain an in-depth understanding of the origins, development, and current state of the opioid crisis, including evidence-based treatment options and medication-assisted therapies.
- Introduction (10 minutes)
- Defining Addiction (55 minutes)
- Controversy around defining ‘addiction’ and DSM-V according to the literature
- Biological (brain d/o, show scans)
- Difference between addictive behaviors and compulsions
- What are the common experiences of all ‘addicts’?
- Overactive Superego
- What are the causes of addiction?
- The Opioid Crisis (50 minutes)
- What is it?
- How did it happen?
- What’s being done?
- What is Medication-Assisted Treatment?
- What works?
- Pornography & Sexual Addiction (55 minutes)
- Review of definition and controversy over whether sex can be addictive or not.
- The role of technology
- Typical Course of the problematic pornography use
- What does a typical presenting client look like?
- What to ask
- Frequency, Intensity & Duration
- Useful Treatment options according to the literature
- Resources available
- Review and Summarize (10 minutes)
Certificates Provider -This Webinar Offers 3 Live Interactive Continuing Education Credits
- This program is co-sponsored by NEFESH International and Therapist Express. NEFESH International is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. NEFESH International maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- NEFESH International, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0116.
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program.
- CE You LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0437
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0048.
This presentation is open to:
- Behavior Analysts
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an intermediate level ,and is beneficial for a beginner level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing [email protected] or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
- Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
- Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
- The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
- Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
- Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.