Add this webinar to your calendar:
The client and therapist relationship - how do clinicians navigate the possibility of a dual relationship? What ethical principles and standards should be considered? These are both important questions that will be addressed in this workshop on the ethical considerations of dual relationships. While some therapists may not encounter the possibility of a dual relationship, others will. Knowing how to manage these situations is key to ethical practice.
We will examine the qualities of a dual relationship and provide case examples of common dilemmas in this area. Learners will increase their ethical framework for exercising appropriate professional boundaries with clients and their relationships. Categories of dual relationships will be presented and discussion will center on using critical thinking skills to identify best practices. Special consideration will be given to diversity in dual relationships, such as rural settings and racial and ethnic influences to dual relationships. Learners will have increased clinical judgment in identifying appropriate professional relationships with clients.
Like this webinar? Click here to view packages that contain this webinar.
- Participants will be able to identify qualities of dual relationships and at least three key considerations.
- Participants will be able to select and employ at least five strategies to have ethical boundaries and relationships with clients.
- Participants will be able to build confidence in assessing their professional role in ethical dilemmas involving dual relationships.
Defining Dual Relationships (30 mins)
- What are they?
- How do they happen?
- What does the research say?/what do clinicians say?
- Boundary crossing vs boundary violation
- Case examples to consider
- Group boundaries exercise
Moral and Ethical Guidelines (30 mins)
- Autonomy and nonmaleficence
- What do our codes of ethics say? (NASW, AAMFT, ACA, APA)
- Ethical dilemma case studies
- Video clip: therapist consultation discussion
- Movie case study: "Prime"
Recommendations and Guidelines for Practice (1.15 hours)
- First impressions are important: Informed consent
- Prevention and action
- Conflicts of interest
- Categories of dual relationships
- Assessing multiple relationships
- Negative consequences
- Is dual always bad?
- Key guidelines for practice
- case studies
- Practice question video
Diversity Considerations (30 mins)
- Dual relationships in rural settings
- Considerations of race, ethnicity and other diversity factors
- Case studies of diversity and culture in dual relationships
Closing, Q&A, Reflection (15 mins)
Certificates Provider -This Webinar Offers 3 Continuing Education Credits
This webinar is recorded and will not grant live credits.
- This program is co-sponsored by NEFESH International and Therapy Express. NEFESH International is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. NEFESH International maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- NEFESH International, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0116.
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program.
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0048.
This presentation is open to:
- Behavior Analysts
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an intermediate level ,and is beneficial for an intermediate level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing [email protected] or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
- Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
- Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
- The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
- Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
- Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.