Thursday, June 1st, 2023 1:45 PM EST Erik Hadden, MA, LCPC, Vital Sources Psychological Services
Add this webinar to your calendar:
A psychodynamic approach to treatment has fallen out of favor with much of the field as ‘evidence based practices’ are touted as more effective, and quicker, and are pushed by insurance companies. But many studies show that psychodynamic psychotherapy has comparable effectiveness compared with CBT and better long term, post treatment effects (Leichsenring, Steinert, 2019, Cornelius, 2018, Abbas, Hancock, Henderson & Kisely, 2004, Maat, Jonghe, Schoevers, and Deker, 2009, Huber et al., 2012, Maat et al., 2009, Bateman & Fonagy, 2008, Leichsenring, Abbass, Luyten, Hilsenroth, & Rabung, 2013). An understanding of how modern psychodynamic therapy works will expand treatment options and dispel misconceptions. This interactive training will help participants understand the evidence behind the effectiveness of psychodynamic treatment. Mental health professions will learn how psychodynamic theory has changed in recent years. Participants will examine what psychodynamic diagnosis look like and review some of the common current treatment strategies.
Like this webinar? Click here to view packages that contain this webinar.
- Introduction and Overview (10 minutes)
- 7 myths about psychodynamic theory and practice. And why they are myths (50 minutes)
- Looking at the evidence for the efficacy of psychodynamic practice
- Tracing the evolution from Freud to current day psychodynamic theories and practices
- Overview of the role of defenses in psychodynamic theory and practice (40 minutes)
Break 10-15 mins
- Review of Diagnosis in psychodynamic theory and practice
- The 3 developmental levels of diagnosis
- Different personality structures or character organizations and what they may look like in the room
- How diagnosis is done in psychodynamic practice
- The differences between a CBT clinical approach and a psychodynamic clinical approach, including case examples
- Review of psychodynamic treatment including case examples
- For Neuotic level
- For Borderline level
- For Psychotic level (30 minutes)
- Review and Summarize/Q&A (10 minutes)
- Participants will be able to describe the basic theory, practice, and distinctives of modern psychodynamic psychotherapy.
- Through interactive discussions, participants will be able to identify the characteristics of modern psychodynamic approach to treatment.
- Participants will be able to explain what differentiates Freud from modern psychodynamic approaches.
- Participants will be able to identify a defense.
- Participants will be able to identify different character organizations.
- Participants will be able to describe how countertransference and immediacy are used in psychodynamic in treatment.
This presentation is open to:
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an intermediate level ,and is beneficial for an intermediate level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
This Webinar Offers 3 Live Interactive Continuing Education Credits
- This program is co-sponsored by NEFESH International and Therapy Express. NEFESH International is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. NEFESH International maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- NEFESH International, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0116.
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program..
- CE You LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0437
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082