Tuesday, March 19th, 2024 10:00 AM EDT -4:45 PM EDT Cheryl Dolinger Brown, LCSW
Add this webinar to your calendar:
10:00 AM - 4:45 PM EST
6 CE Credits
As mental health professionals we have skills and experience in helping clients understand and tolerate difference in their intimate and extended relationships. Remembering to use those skills when one is experiencing moral outrage is not easy. How do we help our clients deal with their "inner polarizer?" How can we as clinicians deal with our own inner polarizer so that we can remain non-judgemental in session?
In this age of extreme polarization, one of the hardest things for us and most people is to listen to people whose core beliefs we do not share. What happens when someone loves or cares about others, yet does not like or respect parts of them? What if one finds the core belief systems of others in our countries to be abhorrent?
This webinar is participatory. All people can all use the support of community. There will be mini-lectures, break-out rooms, video clips of interviews with top therapists who are experts in dealing with warring couples. We will watch master therapist, Bill Doherty, coach couples who are troubled by political differences.
- Participants will be able to State the six roles family members play in political conversations and strategies to use to increase communication with each type.
- Participants will be able to Define strategies to develop curiosity in clients and the role it plays in decreasing polarization.
- Participants will be able to Develop tools and techniques to encourage deep listening when there are flammable issues
- Participants will be able to Role play techniques to help couples and families locked in political arguments
- Participants will have Confidence in bringing new therapeutic skills to wider community
Part One: Fear of and difficulty in listening to the “other” (2 hours)
1. Tolerating being wrong- video (10)
2. Seeing the other as dangerous and managing the stress response (15)
3. Finding your inner polarizer- quiz (10)
4. Dyads (what did you learn about yourself?) (10)
5. Group discussion of our own polarizing issues. (10)
6. Video of Bill Doherty and Tori Olds- difficulty in using our skills (15)
7. Dyads and group discussion (15)
8. Roles families play in political conversations (10)
9. Symbiosis, childhood wounds, differentiation (5)
10. Strategies to help families with political differences (10)
11. Natural vs. Ethical Caring- video of Bill Doherty (10)
12. Strategies to depolarizing (15)
Part Two: Transferring therapy skills to the clients (2.75 hours)
1. Family conflicts - video of Monica Guzman (10)
2. Techniques to deal with flammable issues (15)
3. Video of two red/blue couples I interviewed (20)
4. Break out rooms to discuss what felt and thought about videos (10)
5. Group as expert: fishbowl- skills to bring to couples in videos (30)
6. Three videos of couples with political differences being coached (45)
7. Group discussion of what learned and what can use in sessions (30)
Part Three: Using skills in the community (1 hour)
1. Work with Israeli/Palestinian- video of Orli Wahrman (10)
2. Use in anti-racist, anti-poverty non-profit organization- video of All Stars Project
3. Use in divided communities- Interview with cofounder of Braver Angels(10)
4. The dream that we can know each other’s human essence- Hedy Schleiffer video
5 Group conclusion- what is a takeaway (15)
Certificates Provider -This Webinar Offers 6 Live Interactive Continuing Education Credits
- NEFESH International, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0116.
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program.
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0048.
This presentation is open to:
- Behavior Analysts
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an introductory level ,and is beneficial for a beginner level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing [email protected] or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
- Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
- Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
- The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
- Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
- Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.