Thursday, December 28th, 2023 11:00 AM EDT -2:00 PM EDT Diane Bigler, LCSW, LSCSW
Add this webinar to your calendar:
Medical settings present service providers with diverse patient situations and circumstances which sometimes involve ethical dilemmas. Understanding the role of ethics, law, policy, and personal values is essential to making sound ethical decisions that involve patients. Physicians, nurses, social workers, and other healthcare providers benefit from discussion around ethics and self-determination.
Learners will gain an overview of key social work ethical principles and frameworks. Specific ethical dilemmas in medical settings will be introduced for learners to critically analyze through case studies, including decisional capacity, competence, cultural factors, and autonomy. Participants will be encouraged to use critical thinking skills, ethical principles, and ethical decision-making models to arrive at best practice decisions regarding medical self-determination cases. Grand case studies will be presented for learners to address and respond to by participating in discussion and reflection.
In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by Amedco LLC and CE You! Amedco LLC is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Like this webinar? Click here to view packages that contain this webinar.
- Demonstrate an understanding of key ethical concepts and considerations relevant to self-determination in medical settings, as explored during discussions on common ethical dilemmas
- Apply values, principles, and standards from the NASW Code of Ethics and other sources to analyze and interpret ethical dimensions in medical self-determination scenarios, incorporating insights from the review of ethical principles and methodologies.
- Describe and assess instances of ethical dilemmas concerning self-determination in medical contexts, using case studies and insights from the agenda’s discussions on cultural considerations, paternalism, and end-of-life decisions.
- Defining self-determination (15 mins)
- Common ethical dilemmas in healthcare re: self-determination
- Ethics 101: Review of key principles (1 hour)
- General ethical decision-making model
- Four box method
- Medical bioethics
- NASW Code of Ethics relevant standards
- NASW Standards for Healthcare Settings
- Statistics regarding self-determination in SW
- Ethical and legal terminology and categories
- Decisional capacity vs. competence
- Case examples
- Cultural Considerations, Paternalism (1 hour)
- Cultural example: "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down"
- Minors rights to self-determination considerations
- End of life considerations
- Assisted suicide
- Two grand case studies: Self-determination and medication, Cultural influences (group participation) (15 mins)
- Practice Recommendations & Resources (30 mins)
Certificates Provider -This Webinar Offers 3 Live Interactive Continuing Education Credits
- This program is co-sponsored by NEFESH International and Therapist Express. NEFESH International is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. NEFESH International maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- NEFESH International, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0116.
- CE You LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0437
- In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by Amedco LLC and CE You! Amedco LLC is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team. Successful completion of this program qualifies for up to 3 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Amedco LLC certifies that the attendee named above has participated in the live activity titled Ethical Considerations of Self-Determination in Medical Settings, online, between September 10, 2021 and September 10, 2024 and is awarded the number of AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM listed above. National JA Provider # 4008163.
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program.
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082
This presentation is open to:
- Behavior Analysts
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an introductory level ,and is beneficial for a beginner level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing [email protected] or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
- Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
- Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
- The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
- Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
- Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.