Friday, January 19th, 2024 11:00 AM EDT Rus Devorah (Darcy) Wallen, LCSW, ACSW, CIMHP
Add this webinar to your calendar:
The field of Epigenetics is a hot topic in the scientific community. The root, “Epi” – means above, beyond, transcending, and “Genetics” – refers to inherited genes or our DNA sequences. The main principles of Epigenetics take a diametric turnaround from our old concept of what is inherited (nature, DNA), and what is due to life experiences and exposures (nurture). In the past, we thought “inherited” phenomena such as medical and mental health predispositions were a fait accompli - a lifelong sentence. For instance, if a grandfather and his son had heart problems, and both generations died early because of them, thus, it was considered likely that the child of the next generation would die at an early age from these problems as well. Today we have knowledge about epigenetic marvels that can improve such odds. It is encouraging to know that we do have some control over the remediation of our inherited health history. So, by optimizing sleep, movement, diet, and other lifestyle changes as well as reducing one’s chronic stress response and reactivity one can attain epigenetic benefits. Physiological conditions such as diabetes, heart problems, insomnia, fatigue, gut issues, systemic inflammation, etc., can be improved and even cured.
In this presentation, participants will learn the basic concepts of Epigenetics and how this burgeoning field relates to mental health. We will explore its extensive research and color the talk with real-world examples. Building on that knowledge, we will share practical applications for enhancing attendees' own positive genetic expression. Empirical examples from the presenter’s psychotherapy and wellness coaching practice, as well as her personal health experiences, will round out the discussion. During this session, we will actively reflect together on how knowledge about this promising field can benefit our client’s mental and physical health, with the hopes that attendees will gain practical ideas for their own well-being, for their patients, clients, colleagues, and loved ones. The PowerPoint notes and additional resource materials will be available for later study.
- At the conclusion of this presentation, participants will be able to articulate the fundamental connection between epigenetics and mental health, demonstrating an understanding of how epigenetic mechanisms influence mental health outcomes.
- Following the presentation, attendees will be able to recall and list a minimum of five distinct factors that can epigenetically modulate mental health. These factors will include both positive and negative influences on mental health outcomes.
- By the end of the session, participants will possess a range of tools, techniques, and interventions to effectively integrate epigenetic concepts into their professional practice. This integration will enable them to enhance positive genetic expression in individuals seeking mental health support.
- Welcome and brief overview of the presentation's objectives and topics
- Definition and basic concepts of epigenetics
- Epigenetics and Health
- Exploring the relationship between epigenetics and health, particularly mental health
- Overview of epigenetic research on physiological conditions such as diabetes, heart problems, insomnia, fatigue, gut issues, systemic inflammation, etc.
- Research examples and recurrent themes in this field.
- Real-world examples of epigenetic benefits for improving physiological conditions
- Historical precedence for emotional, psychological, and medical epigenetic effects (i.e., Dutch Hunger Winter, Holocaust, etc.)
III. Epigenetics and Lifestyle Changes
- The impact of lifestyle changes on epigenetic expression
- Research examples
- The connection between sleep, movement, diet, and other lifestyle factors and epigenetics
- Empirical examples from the presenter’s psychotherapy and wellness coaching practice, as well as her personal health experiences, to demonstrate how lifestyle changes can improve epigenetic expression.
- Epigenetics and Mental Health
- Epigenetics and mental health disorders, such as depression and anxiety
- The connection between chronic stress response and epigenetic expression
- Real-world examples of epigenetic benefits for improving mental health conditions.
- Reflection and Discussion
- Discussion on how knowledge about epigenetics can benefit our client's mental and physical health.
- Sharing practical ideas for attendees' own well-being, their patients, clients, colleagues, and loved ones.
- Conclusion, Discussion and Q&A
- Summary of the key points and takeaways from the presentation
- Additional resources and materials for further study
- Closing remarks and questions.
Certificates Provider -This Webinar Offers 3 Live Interactive Continuing Education Credits
- NEFESH International, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0116.
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program.
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0048.
This presentation is open to:
- Behavior Analysts
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an intermediate level ,and is beneficial for an intermediate level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing [email protected] or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
- Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
- Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
- The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
- Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
- Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.