Add this webinar to your calendar:
Many people are raised to believe that expressing painful emotion is a sign of weakness or that being emotionally vulnerable is far too unsafe. Emotional survival often came by creating a defensive strategy - that of a perfect-looking life. In this groundbreaking presentation, Dr. Margaret Robinson Rutherford, author of Perfectly Hidden Depression; How to Break Free From the Perfectionism that Masks Your Depression (New Harbinger Publications, 2019) will discussed the symptoms of this overlooked “silent” depression.
Dr. Rutherford, will discuss early research on perfectionism that noted its connection with depression, as well as the difference between constructive and destructive perfectionism. Suicide trends will be discussed as well as their correlation with destructive perfectionism. Dr. Rutherford will also present more recent studies revealing three types of perfectionism that have been discovered by research and their unique potential for lethality. Dr. Rutherford will present her work on the ten core traits of Perfectly Hidden Depression and will discuss the treatment model she's defined, using mindfulness, cognitive/behavioral, family systems approaches and more, guiding the patient toward greater vulnerability, and thus relief from the burden they've been carrying.
Like this webinar? Click here to view packages that contain this webinar.
- Participants will be able to distinguish between constructive perfectionism versus destructive perfectionism
- Participants will be able to recognize how the perfect-looking life became a working and outwardly successful survival strategy
- Participants will be able to explain the core traits of the syndrome of perfectly hidden depression
- Participants will be able to explain how classic depression differs from perfectly hidden depression
- Participants will be able to analyze why this awareness must grow and be embraced by the medical and mental health community
- Participants will be able to explain the most recent research on the three types of perfectionism and their inherent dangers
- Participants will be able to identify clues that are available to a mental health clinician to accurately identify this syndrome
- Participants will be able to list the five stages of healing that can lead to greater self-acceptance and self-compassion
1) Introduction and How My Own Understanding of PHD Came To Be (15 minutes)
2) The Research Behind Perfectionism (20 minutes)
Early work on perfectionism
Constructive versus Destructive Perfectionism
Self-Oriented, Other-Oriented and Socially Prescribed Perfectionism
3) The Ten Core Traits of Perfectly Hidden Depression (45 minutes)
Quiz to Assess the Spectrum of PHD
The Difference Between Classic Depression and PHD
Discussion of the Ten Core Traits - What They Are and What They're Not
4) Break (10 minutes)
5) Discussion of the 5 C's of Treatment and Exercises (Total 50 minutes)
6) Break (5 minutes)
7) Therapeutic Tools to Aid in Assessment and Treatment (25 minutes)
8) Other Lingering Questions or Ideas (10 minutes)
Certificates Provider -This Webinar Offers 3 Continuing Education Credits
This webinar is recorded and will not grant live credits.
- NEFESH International, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0116.
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program.
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082
This presentation is open to:
- Behavior Analysts
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an intermediate level ,and is beneficial for an intermediate level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing [email protected] or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
- Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
- Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
- The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
- Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
- Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.