Add this webinar to your calendar:
3 CEUs - Ethics
What do you do when a devoutly spiritual client comes to you, wants to include their spirituality in their treatment and you are not very familiar with their spirituality? What ethical issues are raised by treating people from diverse religious and spiritual backgrounds? What ethical issues arise when you, as a provider, have strong religious or spiritual beliefs?
This interactive training will help participants understand the ethical issues that may arise in treating client from different religious backgrounds and how religious competency is an ethical issue. Participants will learn how to address a client’s religion and spirituality in an ethical way, if and when it is ethical to incorporate it into treatment, and some common issues pertinent to treating clients from different religions. (Trainer, Erik Hadden, MA, LCPC, Vital Sources Psychological Services)
Like this webinar? Click here to view packages that contain this webinar.
- Introductions and Ice Breaker (5 minutes)
- Why Religious Competency in Mental Health Treatment is Important (30 minutes)
- The ethical guidelines around religious competency as cultural competency (ACA, AAMFT, APA, NASW).
- Definitions based on literature
- Case examples of how religious/spiritual issues arise in treatment
- Growing in understanding our own biases and worldview to avoid coercion (Know Your Worldview exercise) (15 minutes)
- Religious Literacy as an Ethical issue and overview of major world religions. (75 minutes)
- How to conduct a religious/spiritual assessment (15 minutes)
- Ethical issues around self-disclosure of a religious or spiritual nature (15 minutes)
- How to define and identify spiritual abuse (15 minutes)
- Review and Summarize (10 minutes)
- Introductions and Ice Breaker (5 minutes)
- Participants will be able to identify common ethical issues that arise when addressing religious and spiritual issues in mental health treatment.
- Participants will be able to communicate why religious competency is important in the mental health field.
- Participants will be able to identify and increase their ability to establish a therapeutic environment that is safe and affirming for religious clients.
This presentation is open to:
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an introductory level ,and is beneficial for a beginner level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
This Webinar Offers 3 Continuing Education Credits
This webinar is recorded and will not grant live credits.
- This program is co-sponsored by NEFESH International and Therapy Express. NEFESH International is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. NEFESH International maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- NEFESH International, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0116.
- CE You LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0437
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program..
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082