Wednesday, July 12th, 2023 2:00 PM America/New_York Natosha P. Speight, Ph.D., LCSW-C, LICSW
Add this webinar to your calendar:
Class Title: SEL + RP + DEIB = We Go Together!
Social Emotional Learning (SEL), Restorative Practices (RP), and Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB), are all interrelated, and go hand in hand. Both SEL and RP are used to systematically and intentionally build equitable learning environments. In this session, Dr. Speight, Ph.D., LCSW-C, will briefly review the basic tenets of SEL and RP from a DEIB perspective, and discuss the integration impacts and benefits of RP and SEL in numerous settings when aligned. Participants will also gain the basic principles of facilitating Restorative Conversations from an equity lens, and learn how to lead Community Building Circles.
Like this webinar? Click here to view packages that contain this webinar.
- Introduction/Objectives/Agreements (10 minutes)
- Brief Overview of Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) (25 minutes)
- 5 Collaborative for Academic, Social and Emotional Learning (CASEL) Competencies
- Integration of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB)
- Benefits and Impacts
- Brief Overview of Restorative Practices (RP) (25 minutes)
- The “Why” of RP
- Definition and Brief History
- RP Continuum
- Integration of DEIB
- Benefits and Impacts
- *Break* (10 minutes)
- SEL and RP Alignment with an Equity Lens (50 minutes)
- Common Characteristics of SEL and RP
- Alignment of RP and CASEL SEL Competencies for Adults and Students
- Affective Language Examples
- Circle Examples
- Restorative Conversations/Conferences Examples
*Break* (10 minutes)
Group Exercise: Community Building Circle (30 minutes)
Circle Debrief (10 minutes)
Review and Summarize (10 minutes)
- Participants will be able to explain the benefits of integrating Social Emotional Learning and Restorative Practices from a DEIB Perspective.
- Participants will be able to summarize the basic process of a Restorative Conversation.
- Participants will be able to lead a Community Building Circle.
This presentation is open to:
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an intermediate level ,and is beneficial for an intermediate level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives