Add this webinar to your calendar:
“It can hardly be argued that either students or teachers shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate.” Justice Abe Fortas in Tinker v. Des Moines, USSC 393 U.S. 503 (1969). What happens at schools has long been a source of controversy in America: Armbands to protest the Vietnam War. Drug testing of student-athletes. Affirmative Action. Banning books. Vaccine requirements. And so much more…
Mental and behavioral health professionals should adhere to an ethical principle of challenging injustice. We all should know the legal and ethical issues that define controversy in school policy, so that we can be effective advocates for justice. This workshop explores the rights of students, their parents, and teachers/school administrators through an examination of international, federal, state and local law. Tools for proactive and responsive advocacy are provided, and exercised.
Like this webinar? Click here to view packages that contain this webinar.
- Participants will identify the sources of rights for students, parents and educators at the international level.
- Participants will identify the sources of rights for students, parents and educators at the US federal level.
- Participants will identify the sources of rights for students, parents and educators at the US State level.
- Participants will identify the sources of rights for students, parents and educators at the local level.
- Participants will describe basic rights afforded to students, parents and educators under relevant law.
- Participants will identify historical and current threats to established rights of students, parents and educators.
- Participants will practice advocacy efforts to ensure rights of students, parents and educators.
· Presenter will introduce themself and their expertise.
· Participants will introduce themselves
· 5 minutes
Setting the Stage: Rights in Context
· Review of the source of rights: International, Federal, State and Local Law
· 30 minutes
Rights of Children/Students
· Review of statutory and case law related to the rights of child and adult students
· 40 minutes
Rights of Parents
· Review of statutory and case law related to the rights of parents to access and control their child’s education
· 40 minutes
Rights of Educators
· Review of statutory and case law related to the rights of educators
· 30 minutes
· Discussion of advocacy measures to ensure justice in the rights related to education.
· 25 minutes
Questions and Concerns
· 10 minutes
Certificates Provider -This Webinar Offers 3 Continuing Education Credits
This webinar is recorded and will not grant live credits.
- This program is co-sponsored by NEFESH International and Therapy Express. NEFESH International is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. NEFESH International maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- NEFESH International, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0116.
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program.
- CE You LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0437
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082
This presentation is open to:
- Behavior Analysts
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an introductory level ,and is beneficial for a beginner level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing [email protected] or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
- Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
- Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
- The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
- Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
- Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.