Add this webinar to your calendar:
This course will discuss the advantages and pitfalls of the therapist’s use of self-disclosure in the therapy session. Participants will understand the compelling feelings that cause therapists to disclose information to clients, the idea of role-reversal that accompanies it, and other motivators to self-disclosure. This course will empower clinicians to make ethically backed choices in the use of self-disclosure. Themes discussed will include: the risk of role reversal, manipulation, companionship that takes place in deliberate self disclosure, as well as the healing components that occur in judicious self-disclosure.
- Defining self-disclosure:
- What is a self-disclosure?
- Definitions based on literature
- What are the four types of self-disclosure?
- What are things that compel the therapist to disclose?
- What ethical challenges can arise in self-disclosure?
- Four types of deliberate self-disclosure
- The four motives
- Exploitation in self-disclosure
- What is Judicious self-disclosure?
- Understanding our Reactions
- Video role plays and actual session video clips highlighting different forms of disclosure
- Reacting more effectively
- Choice of wording
- Timing of self-disclosure
- Which clients can benefit and when
- Concluding the intervention - follow up plan
- Review and Summarize
- Participants will be able to: Identify 3 types of detrimental self-disclosures
- Participants will be able to: Recognize how to use discretion in the process of self disclosure for ethical and appropriate therapeutic gains
- Participants will be able to: Identify at least two therapeutic circumstances in which self-disclosure is indicated
This presentation is open to:
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an intermediate level ,and is beneficial for an intermediate level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
This Webinar Offers 3 Continuing Education Credits
This webinar is recorded and will not grant live credits.
- This program is co-sponsored by NEFESH International and Therapy Express. NEFESH International is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. NEFESH International maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- NEFESH International, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0116.
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program..
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0048.