The Ethical and Clinical Implication of Race and Police Interaction - A Cultural Competence Workshop
Wednesday February 23rd 2022 1:00 PM EST Shane King, LCSW
Wednesday February 23rd 2022 1:00 PM EST Shane King, LCSW
Add this webinar to your calendar:
Shane is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 7 years of experience in leadership. He is a psychotherapist at a non for-profit organization and has his own private practice Reflective Therapy, LCSW PLLC, where he is practicing trauma informed care. He specializes in co-facilitating anti-racist groups and organizing events to teach and address structural and systemic racism and how that impacts clients’ lives. Shane is a facilitator of Leadership and Middle Managers that meets every 2nd Tuesday of month via Zoom. Shane is part of the NYC Police Reform and Reinvention Collaborative that is seeking to undo the legacy and harm of racialized policing. Shane is a member of the ACS Coaching Collaborative team that is devoted to building a community committed to coaching. Qualifications: Shane is an expert on racism and presents often on this topic. He is involved in the Undoing Racism Committee for People of Color. He specializes in co-facilitating anti-racist groups and organizing events to teach and address structural and systemic racism and how that impacts clients’ lives.
- Brief Introduction of me (5 minutes)
There will music when people first enter virtual (A Change is going to come)
- Community Invitation
- Review the objectives of the discussion
- Discussion of the purpose of the discussion
- Ethical Principles
- Definition of Police Brutality
- Systemic and Institutional Racism Slide
- History Overview of laws during slavery
- Continued Overview of issues during slavery
- Definition of Structural Racism
- Slave Patrol Badge
- Video on the formation of police (2.47 minutes)
- Review of non strength base interaction between police and BIPOC
- Defining what is happening
15. Review of 13t Amendment – Audience will be asked what words stand out
16. Discuss Group Think: The audience will be asked to share their thoughts
17. Michelle Alexander Quote
18. Short Video (8:23) Audience will be asked what came up for them
19. Myth of the Human Family
20. Group will break for 10 minutes to reflect
21. How is this impacting communities of color
22. Media’s influence –Audience will be asked what they see
23. Family Matters video racial profiling (1: 49)
24. Family Matters Video
25. Impact of Police Interaction
26. Leading Cause of death
27. Impact of Police Interaction
28. Statistics Slide
29. Police Interaction that caused harm
30. Acknowledging harm
31. George Floyd Act
32. Police speak about the Quota system (5 min)
34. 10-minute Break-out room
35. Criminalizing Language
36. Reasons for Stops
37. Trauma and Racism
38. Strategies to counteract tense racial interaction
39. Things to know to advise the community
41. Words of encouragement and thank the audience
- Attendees will be able to summarize the history of how systemic and structural racism entered into our police system.
- Attendees will be able to define how trauma factors into how a person will behaviorally respond when interacting with the police system.
- Attendees will able to list solutions to consider when working with clients who need emergency assistance or need to follow-up regarding a non-strength base interaction with police.
- Attendees will able to explain strategies to counteract tense racial interaction and solutions to advise the community
This presentation is open to:
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an intermediate level ,and is beneficial for an intermediate level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- CE You LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0437
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program..
Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing [email protected] or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.