Add this webinar to your calendar:
This course will discuss how to assess patients for and treat eating disorders. The course will go review the various stages of treatment beginning with weight restoration, medical rehabilitation and the incorporation of a consistent meal plan. Underlying dynamics associated with the development and maintenance of eating disorders will be addressed. The course will discuss the treatment of eating disorders utilizing significant theoretical concepts, eating disorder specific interventions and fundamentals of general psychoanalytic practice.
- Discussion about what is an eating disorder. (Including DSM criteria.) 20 min
- The ability to do psychoanalytic work rests on the foundation of addressing medical, behavioral, and nutritional issues. Discussion of assessment of level of care and/or organizing a treatment team. 20 min
3. Discussion on building an alliance. Now that the patient is safe and stable for psychotherapy, how do we engage them? Building an alliance with patients with eating disorders presents with unique obstacles. Discussion of theory and technique of the above. (Active group discussion.) 20-30 min
4.Understanding Eating Disorders through a Psychoanalytic Perspective: (Definition of each idea and how it presents.)
- Alexithymia 10 min
- Loss of mentalization. (Fonagy) 10
- Role of significant developmental relationships/childhood experiences in the pathogenesis of eating disorders. 10 min
- Role of dissociation and psychological defenses. 10 min
- Difficulty regulating self esteem. 10 min
- Difficulty regulating affect. 10 min
5. Psychoanalytic Treatment of Eating Disorders: (Providing examples.)
- Address the disconnect with the emotional experience. 10 min
- Explore what makes emotions (or one in particular) so intolerable. 10 min
- Process (Making space for difficult emotions, acceptance of upsetting experiences, reassurance that they can tolerate what once felt intolerable.) 10 min
- Using metaphors (Explore emotional hunger and fullness etc.) 10 min
- Utilizing analytic relationship/exploration of transferences in treatment. 10 min
- To identify at least one obstacle that patients with eating disorders present when developing a therapeutic alliance.
- To summarize a basic outline of the psychoanalytic treatment approach to eating disorders.
- To provide at least one example of an underlying issue contributing to the development and maintenance of an eating disorder.
This presentation is open to:
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an intermediate level ,and is beneficial for an intermediate level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
This Webinar Offers 3 Continuing Education Credits
This webinar is recorded and will not grant live credits.
- This program is co-sponsored by NEFESH International and Therapy Express. NEFESH International is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. NEFESH International maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- NEFESH International, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0116.
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0048.