Add this webinar to your calendar:
A couple come to you for help on their marriage. You conduct an initial interview so that both the clients and the therapist can decide whether to begin therapy. It quickly becomes apparent to you that one of them suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder. You face a number of basic questions that will be addressed by our webinar. Should you agree to treat them, on the assumption that the marriage may be viable? Conversely, would treatment be a waste of time and client money? Do you have an ethical obligation to advise the non-BPD client to prepare for divorce? If you do decide to treat, should they be seen as a couple? Should each be seen in individual therapy by two different therapists? Does the “type” of borderline symptoms influence your answer to these questions? What does outcome research tell us about the viability of the marriage? Does DBT offer hope? What advice might you offer the non-BPD spouse: be unconditionally loving and accepting, so that you touch your spouse’s heart; be tough, set boundaries, including threatening to abandon the marriage? Combine both approaches in “Tough Love”? How can you engage the BPD spouse, while knowing that nearly any request that you make asking them to change can be seen as a mortal attack.
- The participants will be better able to identify whether or not to engage in marital therapy, when one spouse manifests BPD.
- The participants will be more familiar with the implications of outcome research for conducting therapy with a borderline marriage.
- The participants will have a specific set of treatment interventions and a treatment plan for engaging a borderline marriage .
Certificates Provider -This Webinar Offers 1 Continuing Education Credits
This webinar is recorded and will not grant live credits.
- NEFESH International, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0116.
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0048.
This presentation is open to:
- Behavior Analysts
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an intermediate level ,and is beneficial for an intermediate level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing [email protected] or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
- Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
- Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
- The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
- Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
- Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.