Add this webinar to your calendar:
Implicit Bias is defined as an unconscious association, belief, or attitude towards any social group. It can lead to stereotyping and since it occurs at an unconscious level, it may not be fully intentional and may be difficult to recognize or control.
The purpose of this class is to help raise awareness of how implicit bias affects us all. We need to find ways to recognize this bias and to guard against its consequences. We also need to discuss ways to appreciate people from different backgrounds and cultures. Participants will look at how cultural differences can affect the diagnosing of psychiatric conditions and clinical treatment.
- Participants will be able to define implicit bias.
- Participants will be able to understand how implicit bias can affect mental health diagnoses and treatment.
- Participants will be able to appreciate some of the cultural differences they may encounter.
Discuss Implicit Bias, including the possible neurological basis for it. Discuss work done through the DSM study groups to try to offset the damaging effects of implicit bias in diagnosing and treating people of different cultures. 1 Hour
As an example, there will be a discussion of people with alternative sexual and gender orientations. This discussion will last 30 minutes, with 30 minutes for class reactions/discussions to the first two topics.
There will be a discussion of information gathered by the surgeon general about social differences of different cultures. There will be 30 minutes allowed for discussion.
Discussion of specific issues with American Indians and the barriers to effective mental health treatment with this group. This discussion will include specific plans concerning ways to conceptualize and treat transgenerational transmission of trauma. It was also include interviews with individuals who are providing mental health services on reservations. 1 hour.
Certificates Provider -This Webinar Offers 4 Continuing Education Credits
This webinar is recorded and will not grant live credits.
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program.
- CE You LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0437
This presentation is open to:
- Behavior Analysts
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an introductory level ,and is beneficial for a beginner level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing [email protected] or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
- Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
- Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
- The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
- Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
- Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.