Add this webinar to your calendar:
In her seminal work introducing Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Marsha Linehan points to the need to teach DBT through metaphors and stories. Comparing something that is abstract, complex, and difficult to something concrete and tangible allows people to go beyond simple cognition, to understanding the more complex realities of life. DBT skills training has received empirical support to be used in the treatment of many different conditions. It has also been shown to enhance social and global functioning.
This training will examine the rationale for using metaphors and storytelling to teach DBT skills, plus practical tips for doing so effectively. Metaphors and storytelling will be used to provide an overview of the four DBT modules (Mindfulness, Emotion Regulation, Interpersonal Effectiveness) as well as the DBT concept of Radical Acceptance.
Like this webinar? Click here to view packages that contain this webinar.
- Participants will be able to explain why metaphors and storytelling are effective tools for teaching and apply DBT skills
- Participants will be able to identify the 4 modules of Dialectical Behavior Therapy skills training
- Participants will be able to use and create their own metaphors and stories to teach DBT skills to clients
DBT as an Evidence Based Treatment/applications 10 minutes
Use of metaphors in teaching DBT skills 15 minutes
Use of storytelling in teaching DBT skills 15 minutes
Metaphors and stories to motivate learning and practicing DBT skills 15 minutes
Metaphors and storytelling to teach mindfulness skills 15 minutes
Metaphors and storytelling to teach Emotion Regulation skills 15 minutes
Metaphors and stories to teach INterpersonal Effectiveness skills 15 minutes
Metaphors and stories to teach Distress Tolerance skills 15 minutes
Metaphors and stories to teach Radical Acceptance skills 15 minutes
Open discussion and wrap up (discussion will be encouraged throughout ) 30 minutes
Certificates Provider -This Webinar Offers 3 Continuing Education Credits
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program.
- CE You LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0437
This presentation is open to:
- Behavior Analysts
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an intermediate level ,and is beneficial for an intermediate level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing [email protected] or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
- Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
- Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
- The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
- Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
- Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.