Wednesday, December 6th, 2023 2:45 PM EDT -5:45 AM EDT Kathryn Krase, Ph.D.,
Add this webinar to your calendar:
Mental health professionals are often put in a position where they must interface with the legal system. Many times, these interactions are not voluntary on the part of the mental health professional. As a result, they can be daunting. This course will help prepare mental health professionals with information and skills to competently interface with the legal system, when necessary.
This course aims to bring practical guidance to mental health professionals on how to competently interface with the legal system when necessary. At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
1) Name the stages of a legal proceeding.
2) Explain various contexts where mental health professionals can serve as valuable resources for a court proceeding.
3) Effectively communicate important information within the legal system.
4) Serve as an ambassador to the legal system for their clients.
5) Serve as an advocate for their clients within the legal system.
Like this webinar? Click here to view packages that contain this webinar.
- Participants will be able to name the stages of a legal proceeding.
- Participants will be able to explain various contexts where mental health professionals can serve as valuable resources for a court proceeding.
- Participants will be able to effectively communicate important information within the legal system.
- Participants will be able to serve as an ambassador to the legal system for their clients.
- Participants will be able to serve as an advocate for their clients within the legal system.
Program Agenda (3 hours/180 minutes, total)
Introductions (10 minutes)
Basics of the Court System (35 minutes)
- This portion of the presentation will provide the basic information necessary to understand the important aspects of a legal proceeding.
Roles of Mental Health Professionals in a Court Case (45 minutes)
- Expert Witness
- Party to a Proceeding (Petitioner v. Respondent)
Important Skills for Mental Health Professionals in a Court Case (45 minutes)
- Written & oral communication
Case Studies (35 minutes)
- Video examples of actual expert testimony will be presented.
- Application of the skills identified through this training will be discussed and evaluated on the basis of the video examples.
Conclusions/Questions (10 minutes)
Certificates Provider -This Webinar Offers 3 Live Interactive Continuing Education Credits
- NEFESH International, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0116.
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program.
- CE You LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0437
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0048.
This presentation is open to:
- Behavior Analysts
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an introductory level ,and is beneficial for a beginner level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing [email protected] or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
- Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
- Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
- The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
- Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
- Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.