Wednesday, January 10th, 2024 11:00 AM EDT -2:00 PM EDT Erik Hadden, MA, LCPC
Add this webinar to your calendar:
What do you do when a devoutly spiritual client comes to you, wants to include their spirituality in their treatment and you are not very familiar with their religion? Have you ever felt confused as to whether or not a client’s religion or spirituality was hurting them or helping them? Multicultural competency in the mental health professions includes knowledge of religious diversity. “Spirituality continues to be a salient aspect of human psychological functioning…” (Peidmont, 2004). Learning the basics of many religions and some foundational cross-cultural concepts and principles can equip you toward a more thorough religious competency.
This interactive training will help participants understand the basic teachings and practices of major world religions. Participants will learn how to address a client’s religion and spirituality, if and when to incorporate it into treatment, and some common issues pertinent to treating clients from different religions.
Like this webinar? Click here to view packages that contain this webinar.
- Identify and navigate common ethical issues encountered when addressing religious and spiritual concerns in mental health treatment, using case studies and contemporary ethical guidelines (ACA, AAMFT, APA, NASW).
- Develop the ability to articulate the significance of religious competency in mental health practice, backed by current research and literature.
- Enhance their skills in establishing and maintaining a therapeutic environment that respects and affirms the religious beliefs of clients.
1. Introduction (10 minutes)
2. Why Religious Competency in Mental Health Treatment is
Important (20 minutes)
-The ethical guidelines around religious competency
as cultural competency (ACA, AAMFT, APA, NASW).
-Definitions based on literature
-Case examples of how religious/spiritual issues
arise in treatment
3. Overview of major religions, common issues in treatment
and helpful interventions (80 minutes)
4. General Spiritual Issues in Treatment
-Working with spiritual leaders, identifying spiritual
abuse, distinguishing OCD from religiosity (15 minutes)
5. How to conduct a religious/spiritual assessment (15 minutes)
6. Case examples (30 minutes)
-Participants will discuss case examples in groups
and share their decided interventions
7. Review and Summarize (10 minutes)
Certificates Provider -This Webinar Offers 3 Live Interactive Continuing Education Credits
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program.
- CE You LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0437
This presentation is open to:
- Behavior Analysts
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an introductory level ,and is beneficial for a beginner level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing [email protected] or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
- Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
- Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
- The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
- Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
- Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.