Wednesday, June 21st, 2023 10:00 AM America/New_York Diane Bigler, LCSW, LSCSW
Add this webinar to your calendar:
What were you taught about self-disclosure to clients in grad school?
Are you wondering whether or not to disclose "something" to your clients ?
Self-disclosure in therapy is complex and dynamic. During this workshop, we will have our eye on ethics as we explore considerations for clinician self-disclosure to clients. Self-disclosure has a number of dimensions, including clinical, therapeutic, technical and-in some cases-legal or regulatory. We will examine the nature of self-disclosure, including potential benefits and risks. Attention will specifically be given to ethical considerations, namely relevant ethical principles and a typology of self-disclosure through the use of case vignettes. Finally, key recommendations will be given for clinicians to consider in their course of self-disclosure opportunities. Clinicians will be encouraged to "know thyself" and their ethical responsibilities to best utilize the avenue of appropriate self-disclosure.
Like this webinar? Click here to view packages that contain this webinar.
Defining and Outlining Self-Disclosure (20 mins)
- Vignette: What would you do?
- What is self-disclosure
- Statistics and Perspectives
- Case Study: Carl Rogers
Specifics of Self-Disclosure (30 mins)
- Types of self-disclosure
- Rogers results
- Key Points
- Matching Exercise
Ethical Considerations (15 mins)
Proper and Improper Use of Self-Disclosure (25 mins)
- WAIT Dr Richard Shwartz
- Video case studies: Improper and Proper disclosure
- Case vignette discussion: Amanda
Perspectives and Considerations (30 mins)
- Benefits and Guidelines
- Appropriate situations for self-disclosure
- Specific populations
- Diversity considerations: two case studies discussion
The Skill of Self-Disclosure (30 mins)
- Client feelings
- Client cognitions
- Client normalization
- Client goals and confidence
- Personal questions for clinician
- Important consdirations
- Case vignette discussion
Grand Case Studies Roundtable (breakout rooms if possible) 20 mins
Closing, Q&A, Resources (10 mins)
- Participants will be able to comprehend and describe key aspects of therapeutic self-disclosure, including potential benefits and risks.
- Participants will be able to examine and articulate key ethical considerations of self-disclosure.
- Participants will be able to apply best practices for ethical and therapeutic self-disclosure.
This presentation is open to:
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an intermediate level ,and is beneficial for an intermediate level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
This Webinar Offers 3 Live Interactive Continuing Education Credits
- This program is co-sponsored by NEFESH International and Therapy Express. NEFESH International is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. NEFESH International maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- NEFESH International, Inc. is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Psychology as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists #PSY-0116.
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program..
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Mental Health Counselor #MHC-0082
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0048.