Add this webinar to your calendar:
What were you taught about self-disclosure to clients in grad school?
Are you wondering whether or not to disclose "something" to your clients ?
Self-disclosure in therapy is complex and dynamic. During this workshop, we will have our eye on ethics as we explore considerations for clinician self-disclosure to clients. Self-disclosure has a number of dimensions, including clinical, therapeutic, technical and-in some cases-legal or regulatory. We will examine the nature of self-disclosure, including potential benefits and risks. Attention will specifically be given to ethical considerations, namely relevant ethical principles and a typology of self-disclosure through the use of case vignettes. Finally, key recommendations will be given for clinicians to consider in their course of self-disclosure opportunities. Clinicians will be encouraged to "know thyself" and their ethical responsibilities to best utilize the avenue of appropriate self-disclosure.
Like this webinar? Click here to view packages that contain this webinar.
- Participants will be able to comprehend and describe key aspects of therapeutic self-disclosure, including potential benefits and risks.
- Participants will be able to examine and articulate key ethical considerations of self-disclosure.
- Participants will be able to apply best practices for ethical and therapeutic self-disclosure.
Defining and Outlining Self-Disclosure (20 mins)
- Vignette: What would you do?
- What is self-disclosure
- Statistics and Perspectives
- Case Study: Carl Rogers
Specifics of Self-Disclosure (30 mins)
- Types of self-disclosure
- Rogers results
- Key Points
- Matching Exercise
Ethical Considerations (15 mins)
Proper and Improper Use of Self-Disclosure (25 mins)
- WAIT Dr Richard Shwartz
- Video case studies: Improper and Proper disclosure
- Case vignette discussion: Amanda
Perspectives and Considerations (30 mins)
- Benefits and Guidelines
- Appropriate situations for self-disclosure
- Specific populations
- Diversity considerations: two case studies discussion
The Skill of Self-Disclosure (30 mins)
- Client feelings
- Client cognitions
- Client normalization
- Client goals and confidence
- Personal questions for clinician
- Important consdirations
- Case vignette discussion
Grand Case Studies Roundtable (breakout rooms if possible) 20 mins
Closing, Q&A, Resources (10 mins)
Certificates Provider -This Webinar Offers 3 Continuing Education Credits
This webinar is recorded and will not grant live credits.
- CE You! is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners for continuing education credits for licensed social workers in Maryland. CE You! maintains responsibility for this program.
This presentation is open to:
- Behavior Analysts
- Social Workers
- Professional Counselors
- Licensed Mental Health Practitioners
- Other professionals interacting with populations engaged in mental health based services
This online class is offered at an intermediate level ,and is beneficial for an intermediate level clinician:
- New practitioners who wish to gain enhanced insight surrounding the topic
- Experienced practitioners who seek to increase and expand fundamental knowledge surrounding the subject matter
- Advanced practitioners seeking to review concepts and reinforce practice skills and/or access additional consultation
- Managers seeking to broaden micro and/or macro perspectives
- Refunds: Registrants who are unable to attend a Thrapy Express seminar or live webinars may ask for, and will receive, a credit or refund (your choice). Refund requests will be processed within 3 business days. When an attendee knows in advance that they are unable to attend we ask that they inform Thrapy Express ahead of time by emailing [email protected] or by calling or texting (631) 202-1010 this allows us to free up the spot in the training in the event that a training is at or near capacity.
- Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations, please contact our office 30 days or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification.
- Please Note: Licensing Boards change regulations often, and while we attempt to stay abreast of their most recent changes, if you have questions or concerns about this course meeting your specific board’s approval, we recommend you contact your board directly to obtain a ruling.
- The grievance policy for trainings provided by the NEFESH INTERNATIONAL is available here
- Satisfactory Completion: Participants must have paid the tuition fee, logged in and out each day, attended the entire webinar, and completed an evaluation to receive a certificate (If this is a pre-recorded program, a post-test with a passing grade of 80% to receive a certificate.) Failure to log in or out will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. No exceptions will be made. Partial credit is not available. Certificates are available after satisfactory course completion by clicking here
- Participants will receive their certificate electronically upon completion of the webinar and course evaluation form.
- There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for this program.