Perinatal (or reproductive) trauma includes infertility, miscarriage, perinatal loss, complicated birth, and postpartum. These adverse reproductive events engender loss and disrupt every aspect of clients' lives. This presentation will help participants understand the losses associated with reproductive trauma and learn clinical interventions that help clients process these losses.
Mara Tesler Stein, Psy.D. is a clinical psychologist in private practice specializing in coping with grief and trauma, the emotional aspects of medical crisis, especially around pregnancy & parenting, and providing developmentally supportive, relationship-based care to families. She presents both in the US and Israel on these issues and consults to health care providers and hospitals, guiding their efforts to improve the level of psychological support and care to families during and subsequent to medical crisis. She is the co-author of Parenting Your Premature Baby and Child: The Emotional Journey (Fulcrum, 2004) and Intensive Parenting: Surviving the Journey through the NICU (Fulcrum, 2013).
- Participants will gain information about the various losses faced by clients as they confront infertility or reproductive trauma.
- Participants will be able to identify and recognize the emotional experience associated with these losses.
- Participants will learn specific interventions that could be helpful to clients as they seek to cope and find emotional resolution to their losses.
- NEFESH International SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0048
- NEFESH International SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists #0046
- NEFESH International is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed mental health counselors. #MHC-0082